Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day of School



So, today was the first day of school. I remember Lilly's first day of Kindergarten. She already went through Pre-k, so I was already ecstatic. Someone stopped me in the hall after I had deposited Lilly to the appropriate classroom. This woman told me there were coffee and donuts in the gym for a "Boo Hoo Breakfast." Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. My husband was in Korea and I had 2 other kids waiting at home with Jane. I wasn't about to waste my time with all the cry baby moms just because my child was doing something that was LEGALLY REQUIRED!! So off I went to start my day.



Then Kaylan started Pre-K in VA. I met with my next door neighbor and another friend at IHOP to celebrate. That began Alyssa's 2 years alone with me. Kaylan had some behavioral problems. In fact, I started to think that she was possibly autistic because her behavior was so similar to my brother's, who really is mildly so. The summer before she started school, I started taking her to a shrink, not because I wanted the wildly popular diagnosis everyone else was getting or because I thought I could get some magic pill to cure her. I wanted to find out what was wrong with her, if anything, and get her the help she needed. I liked her shrink, Dr. Berry. I'm not crazy-religious, but it was a Christian-centered therapy center and everything revolved around God. He was HUGE part of anyone's treatment. That was comforting because it wasn't typical but it wasn't ridiculously alternative either. Anyway, Dr. Berry decided that there wasn't anything wrong with Kay. She just didn't know how to control her emotions, so they took over everything and overwhelmed her. It didn't matter what emotion is was, good or bad. I thought Pre-K would be a ginormous challenge for her, especially since her teacher, Mrs. Myrsten, looked like she had just graduated. She turned out to be a Godsend. She was absolutely WONDERFUL with my Kay. It got to the point that Kay wanted to please her with almost everything she did. It was awesome.



Today began the next phase in Alyssa's life. I was at Mom and Dad's last week for Granana's Camp, so we missed Meet-the-Teacher Night. I went by the school yesterday and found who went where. I thought this morning would be a nightmare. I got up and 0545 and turned the dryer back on to de-wrinkle the uniforms I had left in there over night, brushed my teeth and peed. And then I woke up the kiddies. Alyssa slept with me last night only because she wasn't going to sleep by herself. So I gave in. I thought for sure she'd be the worst of them all. While they were brushing their teeth and peeing I ran around and got uniforms together. They were so cute this morning. Dewey was supposed to be online (if he could be) by about 0630, so I made sure I had hair fixed and everyone dressed by then. He didn't get on, but I had everyone ready a little ahead of schedule. I even made all their lunches last night so all I had to do this morning was pull them out of the fridge and give them to the appropriate child. I decided to walk them in this morning since we weren't here last week. THAT won't happen anymore this year. As I came around a corner with all 3 in a single-file line behind me, so teacher yelled at them and told them that starting tomorrow morning we wouldn't round corners like that anymore. SERIOUSLY? On the FIRST day, when everything's already chaotic as it is? REALLY? I almost said something to her, but decided to let it go. Their teachers would take care of transporting the kids from one place to another, so there probably wouldn't ever be any mention of it again. Dumb &*(@#. THAT wasn't the way to start my day. We had a pretty good morning and then that. Whatever.



I dropped Alyssa off at her class first so Lilly and Kay would know where to go in the morning when I drop them off. I talked to her teacher and filled something out and kissed her good bye. She was a little sad when we first got to the school and didn't want to stay, but when she met her teacher she was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. Then her teacher gave me a gift. When I got finished there I discovered Lilly and Kaylan were gone, so I had to track them down. They had gone to their own classes already. So I filled out a couple more things for each of them and came home. I should be doing my pilates or putting away all the laundry that's piled up since I started school this summer. Instead, I thought I'd tell you how quiet the house is right now. Besides the keyboard and the a/c, all I hear is.....nothing. The TV was constantly on before Alyssa started school, now it isn't. The TV in here isn't even on. I prefer the silence. I never thought I'd have time to myself. When I got back here I read what Mrs. Rich had given me. It was a ziploc with a cotton ball to remind me of the tender little spirit I had just left in her care and a tea bag so I could put my feet up and relax a little. Kinda cool.



So what will I do with myself now that I have 3 school aged kids? Should I sit back and relax and enjoy my time alone? Should I take up a relaxing hobby like crocheting? Should I just go back to bed only because I can? NO A CHANCE! What does Evelyn do with spare time? I'M GOING TO TAKE ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY THIS SEMESTER!!!!!! I figured I need to make the most of my uninterrupted time and add even more stress to my life because THAT'S what anyone needs. If I don't take that, I'm taking at least 3 courses to make up the difference. How's THAT for time management? I'm not entirely sure yet. It's getting late. It's already 0830 and I haven't even showered. I need to get up to CTC and figure out what I'm doint this semester.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Could they look any cuter in their uniforms???