Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sometimes I Really Hate Life

I haven't been on here in a while for a couple reasons- school and Dewey got home in June. My last post was about the time I "knew" something terrible had happened to Dewey. He was fine, and my life continued.

Then, as I was getting ready for school Wednesday morning July 1st, I got the call that no one wants. My little brother, Joseph, was killed in a car accident in West Virginia. My little brother. Almost every memory I have in this life has him in it. What do you do when you lose someone that close? How do you cope?

When Dad uttered those simple words, I felt the world around me come crashing down. I knew there had to be some mistake. Joseph was strong and healthy. He couldn't be dead. I had just heard from him 4 days before! Even now, almost a month later, that thought seems so foreign and unreal. How can I not see him again in this life? I wanted him to be the one my kids turn to when they're older and hate my guts. I wanted him to play a very active role in my girls' lives. How can this be? Even during his funeral I was hoping he'd pop up out of his casket and yell something, in true Joseph style, like "HA! HA! GOTCHA, B*****S!!!" But he didn't. We burried him. And now he's gone for the rest of my mortal years.

I can't go into a lot of detail yet about the initial pain and grief I felt. I'll still break down, and that feeling in the pit of my stomach becomes almost impossible to bare. I found some comfort in Leighann's words in that first email I got from her, and I realized the importance and urgency of Dewey and me getting our sorry butts to the temple and being sealed to our precious children. I don't want to be caught in this situation and NOT be sealed to my kids. I'm grateful for Mom and Dad's faithfulness. Because of that, I know I'll be with my beloved brother again. And I know he's up there watching over my girls. He'll still be a part of their lives, just not quite the way I had intended. I know he'll watch them grow, and I know he's cheering all of us on down here to do our very best and live faithfully so we can all live together forever. I want nothing more than to be with my family for eternity.

What I've Learned.....

I've learned that I MUST tell those I love that I love them when they're right in front of me. I never got the opportunity to tell Joseph how much I love him, and I regret not doing so. I saved his last text message and will print/frame it with a picture of him. I know he knows NOW how much I love him, but it's not the same. I wish I had told him that I love him the last time I talked to him.

I've also learned how much people love him. His funeral was the biggest one I've ever been to. His procession was miles long. MILES! I didn't expect to see so many people, much less so many of them absolutely sobbing for him. He was truly loved and will be missed for a long time to come. BUT, I know the Lord has provided a way for all of us to be together again, and I look forward to that joyous reunion.

4 comments:

Carli said...

I am sorry about what happened! Joseph was such a funny kid. I hope that you can continue to feel comfort in knowing that you will see him again, but I know how hard it is to lose a family member.

OccupyThis said...

I'm still in shock about the news. My memories of the Houston years all involve Joseph. What a fun-loving, hilarious, thoughtful guy. My biggest regret is not staying in touch with him after moving. He truly will be missed by all who knew him. Just curious, do you know where in WV he was when it happened?

I'm not going to pretend like I know what to tell you bc I've never been there before, so I'll just tell you that we will keep you and your family in our prayers. I'm so sorry you have to go through this trying time.

OccupyThis said...

No way! You know I'm living in Morgantown, right? That's where WVU is and where I'm going to law school. Wow. I still can't wrap my mind around it either. And yes, I totally remember the Galveston trip, lots of laughs :) Man, I can't believe he's gone now.

That's cool about the driver. God certainly works in mysterious ways. Good luck with that, and good luck coping with the loss of your little brother. What a great guy and friend he was to me.

Jeanette said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so sad. I am glad that your family was able to gather together and that his funeral was beautiful. I hope that it brings you peace.